View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
I just read through this thread. This is pretty cool.

If I may offer a suggestion...

You need to make the body tubes after you make the body to make sure they are in the right place. The body tubes are actually the most difficult part of making a car because they move when you are trying to mount the body. I will get the CAD file of the body and see if we can mill out a 1/8 buck for you. Making a body by hand will be a real trick out of sheet metal. True to scale would be only 0.006 or 0.007 thick. Not too much to work with there.

Unfortunately, we are really tied up right now with a pretty cool Hot Rod project that taking up all my spare time. Congrats on a super cool project. We have you in mind!

David
David, I am glad you are enjoying this thread... I would love to take you up on the offer of a buck in 1/8th. I have been all over your site and photo albums and have been using all of your info as reference, from day 1 of this build. What a great wealth of info you guys have offered to everyone to view! I accept your input on the body tubes and will clarify my intentions of building the complete frame before I have the body with 2 words... Wow factor. The frame is a tough thing for most people to visualize that are not or have not been around these cars, so adding the body tubes lets them "see" the shape a little better. I have this build posted on a couple of modeling forums also and unless the viewer has seen an actual Cobra frame in the raw, they have no clue which end is which. I figured I would have to do some tweaking or even re-building of the body tubes at the point of the mating of the body to the frame. Building critical parts in 1/8th scale is tough... actually an imperfect science. As you well know, being off a 64th in 1;1 is not too bad when dealing with the frame tubes. Being off a 64th in 1/8th is an 1/8th of an inch, which is huge. I need the body before I can due much adjusting, but being able to show off the frame before I can hammer out a body, makes everybody more interested in the build... and for non-Cobra types a little more able to see where it's going. I'll send you a PM to talk more about it, which you can answer when you have the time... I am quite sure you're a busy man, even without the Hot Rod project you're involved in...

Garey