View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Westsiders know how to take care of each other!

It's been a crazy day..

Today I was headed to W. Fort Worth to help out a fellow Factory Five builder that is almost ready to mount his newly painted body on his chassis. At about 7 miles from my house on IH-35W in Burleson my engine started making a God awful noise and I noticed that oil pressure had dropped to 5-10 PSI. I immediately shut it down and coasted to the shoulder of the highway and started trying to call for a wrecker. Before I had even finished dialing I looked up and there was Airspeed1 (Jerry) pulling up behind my car offering assistance. He just happened to be returning to the metroplex from the San Marcos area. Jerry stayed with my car while his wife and son took me home to get my truck and some tools.

Later after getting my car back home and discovering what had happened I then left and started driving to the auto parts store. A few blocks from my house I then ran into James who was driving his Street Beast.. haha.. I immediately stopped and asked "did Jerry tell you?" Turns out he was just in the neighborhood and thought he would stop by to check and see how things were going! He didn't know anything about what had happened earlier. Sooo, long story short, James went to the auto parts store with me and and then came over and helped me with get the Cobra running again.

Talk about a small world! WOW...

So now you want to know what happened with the car? I guess I had a brain fart when I changed my oil a few days ago. The oil filter o-ring from the previous oil filter stayed on the block and didn't come off with the oil filter. The new filter obviously doesn't seal well when there's still an old o-ring from the previous filter still attached to the block.. About 4 quarts of oil sprayed out from around the oil filter and out onto the road. Tracing my oil trail, it appears that it all came out over a stretch of about 3/4 mile.

Good news! After getting things cleaned up, the engine primed with oil, restarted and timed, it seems that everything is back to normal..

What a day.. Thanks Jerry, Sandy and James! It really is a very small world!
FFR MKIII Roadster #5392

Last edited by Stoney FFR; 06-15-2010 at 07:50 PM..