View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
While the suspension may look ok, you may have brinelled the wheel bearing. You can Google the term, but basically it means you may have dimpled the races by jamming the ball bearings into them from a large side load.
Good point, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll take a real close look at the bearing and surrounding area tomorrow. .

I hit the curb full sideways so most of the loads were transfered axially, along the axle's centerline. The bearings are straight rollers so the impact was transfered axially through them and then along the outer races seated in the axle housings captured by 4 bolt flanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Undy, on the down shift. Did it cause the rear end to (essentially) "lock up" or was it the sudden acceleration after the shift that caused the tires to break loose? In other words, what induced the spin?

...been there in either case, been lucky more than once.
It was too much gratuitous torque multiplication prior to clutch engagement.

I actually was planning on having a just tad of wheel spin, sort of an explanation mark at the end of a sentence kinda thing. I just wasn't planning on THAT much wheel spin. I've done it many times, although never with those results. I guess it's time to stop while I'm (almost) ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Undy, you still have one last chance to blame it on a "stuck throttle."
I'd like to but the sphincter spring had everything, including the 8 butterflies pulled tightly shut.

Thanks to all for the well wishes and the OMFGs. It was the combination of a bad choice, some good luck and somebody up there looking out for me.

I know what forces are at play and the resulting consequences when applied. I have pushed my 500 rwhp C6 Z06 daily driver for 60,000 race/non-race miles. The nannies definitely help in it's case though. The short of it; not a rookie but never too old a dog to learn from my mistakes...