View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Seems to me that the price increase won't hurt Shelby much. I believe that most CSX owners are people who may own other toys, like Ferrari's. We obviously all have discretionary income, but an average CSX owner probably has more than most of us. For the wealthy it's a no brainer. They think, "Vintage Shelby's are more than I want to spend, so I'll get the next best thing". Not, "Vintage Shelby's are too much, so I'll spend countless hours researching the vast Cobra replica market and make a sound decision based on value for the dollar". Let's face it, if you own a Ferrari, names DO mean something to you. Period. Nothing wrong with that IMO, for I too believe provenance has value.
For most of 'us' (if we're in the market for upper echelon replicas) are even considering a CSX, than ten grand for the name may not be worth it. But to the guy who bought his wife a $30k ring 'just because', the money won't mean as much.
I know there are exceptions to who I believe the average CSX owner is, and gratefully many of the exceptions are on this site, but most probably wouldn't have gone elsewhere for a 10k bump.
And while I'm on my soapbox: These arguments and opinions about CSX continutions being a rip off, or the 'ol man being a crook, are getting a little long in the tooth. It's like being a Disney fan but hating Walt because he dipped his donuts in Scotch.
rodneym