View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Do a search on "Morgester" (Robert Morgester the Assistant Attorney General) here on Club Cobra and sit back with a tall drink while you read through all of the threads that he's contributed to.

Bottom line is that based on everything I've read, I wouldn't want to have replica Cobra registered in CA in unless it was registered as the actual year it was built and under SB100.

The DMV doesn't know what they're doing and will register as a Cobra as a 196X to anyone who walks in the door.

The funny thing is that the process is fairly pain free and SB100 certs are still available as of a couple of weeks ago. There's no reason not to do it.

Here's a thread with a great summary by Jamo and a link to the process steps.

A very tired subject: SB100
Just a bit more information regarding out of State titling and registration in California from Legal Files 3/2010 using a GT40 replica as an example:

Various states take different approaches to SPCNS. While California would title the GT40 as an SPCNS with a year-of-first-title build year, others would title it as a “1965 Ford GT40 Replica.” But a few states aren’t very concerned about nuance, and would title it as simply a “1965 Ford.” What if that is what you bring into California?

When pushed, Morgester acknowledged California law requires that “full faith and credit” be given to other states’ titles. If the GT40 replica has a valid title that identifies it as a “1965 Ford” and nothing else, California has to accept it as a 1965 Ford. It will receive such a title, and it will be required to meet only the 1965 (non-existent) emissions requirements. “But,” Morgester cautions, “the key word here is ‘valid.’ The owner would have to establish that a full disclosure of all pertinent facts was made to the other state before the title was issued. Otherwise, the title is not ‘validly issued,’ and California would not have to honor it.”

I wasn't asked to establish the validity of the out of State title nor was it ever addressed in my numerous conversations with the DMV Technical Services division. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to even begin that process.

On the surface, the SB100 amnesty period appears to be a "get out of jail free card", when in reality it is nothing more than a revenue generator for the State. It allows the individuals who misrepresented the value of the vehicle to pay the appropriate fees and walk away feeling a lot better and with a lighter wallet!