View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Then you will need to use a Dremel or die grinder to V-grind out each crack deep enough to glass 3 or 4 strips of fiberglass back in. Cut the strips of fiberglass progressively wider to fill up the V-notch. Get a fiberglass roller and roll each layer in to remove excess resin and compact the mat. If any of the cracks go all the way through, then grind the backside and reinforce with more resin and mat. Grind flush and refinish with filler and primer. If an area is so severly cracked as to make grinding out the individual cracks prohibitive - then you will probably have to grind the entire area down sufficiently to build it back up with 3 layers of fiberglass mat (not cloth) and resin.

I have an old Corvette also and years ago some use to say that spray gelcoat could be applied over the top of stress cracks and it would heal them up and keep them from reflecting through. It doesn't work. I'm not familiar with the thin epoxy primer material you spoke of.