View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrayr View Post
The simple route would be a 331 stroker & quality aluminum heads like AFR 165's or 185's, (or whatever brand you prefer). Nothing wrong with a forged crankshaft either, but I don't think you need one with a 6,500 rpm redline.

Z.
You've hit the combo right on the head....although I had thought about a 347 stroker, I've decided to go with the 331 instead. Right now I'm planning on using AFR heads, not quite sure about 165's vs 185's yet, but that is the route planned--I had considered the 185's, but want to maintain good flow velocity in the intake runners and with only 331 CID, I think the 165's would be better. While I'm running a Performer intake with an Edelbrock carb right now, plans also include switching to a Performer Air Gap/Holley combo (probably in the 600 CFM range, most likely a double pumper with a manual choke). The car already has a lot of Mallory components (electric fuel pump, Unilite distributor/coil) and it spins quite nicely already.

In the interest of longevity I had pretty much decided to go with a forged crank/con rod set.

Probably an aluminum flywheel, if that makes any difference...I don't mind giving it a few RPMs to get it going from a standing start, sure do like how quickly a well-built small block will rev with an aluminum flywheel.

SOME DAY I really want to build a Clevor, but for now I'm going with Windsor heads so I don't have to change out the sidepipes, etc....not to mention the issues getting custom pistons/head work for the "combo". Plenty of time for playing with the Clevor idea later, right now I just want to bump up the acceleration a bit and I'm sure a Windsor will work just fine.

Intended use is probably 95% street use, a decent part of which will be highway use....occasional 1/4 mile blasts just for fun.

Right now I plan on using the well-seasoned factory block that is in the car already, but I am well aware of the problems with splitting 5.0 blocks with excess horsepower.

I will probably have one of the engine builders who posts regularly on the forum build the long block for me and will rely on the builder for the cam choice.

Ask away, folks....I'm open to all suggestions at this point!!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!