View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '05 FFR MKIII 5.0
Not Ranked     

We had Dell's race way in Mount lookout Square Just out side of Cincinnati Oh. It had multiple tracks, one with banking allmost to 70 deg! I raced what was called a group 12 car. Kind of like a Can Am car that was squished flat that still had a wedge profile. Like Badhorse said it had clear air dams and spoilers, was very fast and had a very unique sound as air flowed over the car routed by the air dams. The motors had very course windings with few turns maybe as little as 20? the magnets were very strong and shimed within thousanths of the armature. Timing and balance was a black art! The controllers had big heat sinks with brakes which I think it back fed the motor, when the car hit the tack zone with the brakes on there was a big thwak noise. During a race the sounds and smells of those cars was unlike any thing that,,, well anything really. The air would reek of hot motors and controllers, the spong drive tires kicking up the sticky tack (which had its own smell), the zing of the gears, the yelling of the drivers to the marchalls. Man,, thanks for the memories.

Matt