View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

How we got to hardly ablesons just floors me, doesn't even belong in the same thread with performance vehicles. They are the kings of huge displacement and low performance. Now before anyone gets their panties all wadded over those statements, I ride an old Yamaha FJ1200 and a Buell XB12X, both of which are sort of opposite ends of the bike performance spectrum but both are still performance oriented. The cruiser HDs that I have ridden only excelled in 2 areas mentioned, they look cool and sound cool. That’s it. Any other performance based measure is going to have them looking up to see the bottom of the barrel. My Buell, with its tarted up skirtster motor, is noticeably slower than my old FJ but still handles beautifully and stops without peer. All this while still being comfortable with an upright seated position. With the race kit on it, it also sounds great. Looks though are an acquired taste at best.
The point of all this is that I still don’t get why people continue to mention HDs as though they are performance vehicles. I honestly wish they were because then I could buy American and still have my jollies. I tried that with the Buell but now HD has even killed off that. Those dip-sticks are going to run out of octogenarians to sell too here in a few years and without any development they are going to slip back into an AMF like abyss. I hope it doesn’t happen, but those guys can’t seem to see the forest for the trees.