View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Buzz. It certanly sounds like you are getting your money's worth out of your car. I like that. ERA has really supplied you with great support. For me however, with the exception of the body extentions custom hoods and roll cage, that I of course would not need for street driving, all of your upgrades are something I would do myself. I like to tinker with things and that is one of the things I miss about not having my cobra. I will say in the old days when EM was in FL it was nice to have the support of Bob S when I was thinking of doing something. After that support was gone, I found a wealth of knowledge here in the Houston Cobra club. With that group of guys, and a couple cases of beer, there isn't much you can't do with a Cobra of any make.

Rick D,

Thanks for the info, It has always been my impression that with ERA, you bought their whole kit or you got nothing. At least that is what Peter told me back in the late '90's when I talked to him. It's been a bunch of years so it sounds like things may have changed. If I decide to go with a kit to build again, ERA is on that short list for many of the reasons you & others mentioned. btw, my EM's latches were mounted in metal as well. I really liked that. The E-brake thing was one of the design issues that I didn't like. I do like the fact that it is attached to the frame in the ERA

1985 CCX,

"the worst thing is someone that buys one then leaves it home.."

I could not agree with you more!

Looks like both cars would be fine for my needs. I feel like I have more info of things to look for and to think about while I am making my decision. I picked both of these cars to ask about because of both of their long standing reputations and I knew I could get some great information from you guys. Thank you very much.

I still have to decide whether to buy or build and I actually have 3 cars on the buy short list and Just so happens that the are the same 3 I had on my build list back in 1998. I have 4 on the build short list. All for different reasons. I'll spare you guys a thread on on my build choices, That would require popcorn and it's all be rehashed on this site by others countless times. HCC members, I may not be so kind you guys. Jim, if I go down that road, expect a call.

Like I said before, I'm still a bit off from making the final decision but I will let you guys know, which car I choose to drive the wheels off of.