View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Think of the AC 289 as a standard 289 Cobra, but using the coil-spring chassis and narrow-hip body work as its foundation. The cars came originally with stock 289 hi-po engines and a Holley 4V carburetor, sourced through Shelby American. They came with 6" wire wheels which used a slightly different offset than the leaf-spring cars, and none were given a hood scoop or roll bar at AC Cars, although several have had them added in the years since. Instrumentation was Smiths; badges were the chrome AC logo front and rear, and nowhere on the cars was there any mention whatsoever of "Shelby" or "Cobra." Since these were generally built to order rather than intended to sit in a showroom in the hopes of attracting a customer, sales were less than brisk - with only 25 produced by AC and 2 more sold in incomplete form. As you mentioned, some were still available into 1969. Mine was built in the late summer of '66 and sold in October of that year.

It is my belief that COB 6115 has been rebuilt to the point that it is not truly representative of how the cars looked originally. In my gallery there are some shots of COX 6111, which remains stock but for the addition of aluminum Cobra rocker arm covers in place of the typical chrome ones; alloy wheels rather than wires; a black leather steering wheel (that has since been replaced with a correct wooden one), and the driver's roll bar (which is coming out soon).

Last edited by Nedsel; 05-23-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: added info