View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil cooler advice

I have read multiple threads that for most an oil cooler is not needed, and it was been true for me until this year. I recently participated in the Ford/Shelby MidAmerica and while participating on the track, air temp was 98 degrees, I noted the oil temp, which usually stays around 70 (158) got up to 120 (248) after about 5-7 laps. Since oil temp is associated with high RPM, I tried to gear up the next session and though it took slightly longer, the oil temp got up to the same.

I then would run a few slow laps, it would come down appropriately and then after 2-3 laps it would go back to the 120ish level.

My question is, I plan to go to track events about 3 times or so a year. Mainly in the summer, where the air temps will be in the upper 90s to 100.
1. Is it ok to run for about 4-5 15 minute sessions with my oil temps in the 120-130 range.

2. If not, and I do need an oil cooler, and I want to limit the cost and complexity, could I use the Mocal oil cooler and simply bypass my remote filter, just for the event, then reconnect it after, because otherwise I would not need the oil cooler.

3. And if that is not an option, and given the fact I have a remote oil filter, what would the diagram of the plumbing look like. I know there are in line thermostats, and adjustible flow devices, but I am looking for a 3 to 4 day a year fix.

Thank you for you help and insight.