View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How's the O2 sensor?

Rwillia4 Any chance of a first Name?? Lets start with the O2 sensor, is it varying good or sticking either high or low on the mv numbers? Start with this remove and is if it is full of carbon. Some motor that are driving hard burn a little more oil than others. If sensor is black, try clean with a good carb cleaner. Fill cleaner into small jar with JUST the bottom where the fins are to help break down the carbon let sit over night in solution. Keep covered to not let liquid vapor out. Air blow after 12 hours and retest and check numbers.
I do know that MSD has had alot of problems with boxes, caps and rotors, and coils. IF the coil is not an "e" coil and is mounted on motor, try another coil, Goto Autozone or Pepboys. Just mount it loose to do this check. If nothing changes, take coil back for refund. keep clean. Is your timing plate locked off in the distributor housing? The little screw may have come loose or fallen out and has timing bouncing. Check air gap on pickup. Next is to replace MSD box with know good one. Over the years I have got 1 new box and 2 spares. I pick them up at swap meets and have them sent to MSD for check out and repair. Check your grounds and power feeds to both msd and ECU for good clean connections. If nothing else works, find a dyno shop that KNOWS the fast setup. Replace all spark plugs with O2 sensor cleaning. You didn't say if your system is wide band or normal band. My have to go to "N" programing or Alifa, I forget. This uses just TPS, Coolant sensor, IAT sensor, and O2 sensor. Camshaft is too big in my motor to run other system. This will get you started. Rick L.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 02-09-2012 at 03:26 AM..