View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcb99 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to close the loop on my post here, as I'm sure everyone thinks it's total B.S.

Well, I talked to my cousin (the executor of the estate that the Cobra now belongs to) and she's been contacted by RM Auctions, which as I understand it is a high-end collector's car auction house. She gave them the details, including serial number and it seems they went nuts. They traced it and found there was a 17 year period of time where there was no recording of it, which is about the amount of time it sat in the garage.

Anyway, it's going to go up at their August auction in Monterey, California. She was told that Carroll Shelby might be there, health permitting.

Based on previous people's post here (by the way, thank you), I told her she needs to insure it for at least $500K. Not sure what she'll do but she said she'd check with the auction house.

In the meantime, she said that RM auctions told her to not release any information about the car, to keep it as a true barn find. I'm not sure this is good advice, but she's doing what they tell her now. They said this will increase the value, which is what a couple of posters here have said, but I have my doubts...but what do I know!

I know, I know...no serial number means just another poster with a fabricated story. All I can tell you is to check out the auction in August. I'm sure this will be the only barn find 289 Cobra in the auction.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I guess it's now up to the auction house.

Tom
Tom,

Something sounds foul here, I highly suggest you PM Ron or myself with the CSX number as RM would never, and I do mean NEVER give out such advice. Your relative might be in the middle of a potential scam to defraud.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS