View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Or, you could buy an already completed FFR that cost its owner $45,000 in parts (and two years of his life to painstakenly assemble) for $35,000 and be driving it this weekend!
Good point. $35k is starting to get into some pretty nice used (slightly used in many cases) replicas. Paint/Wheels/Tires are not going to come cheap - you could comparably be shopping for a $40 to 42K car easily.

If planning to save much money by doing the paint and body yourself - be warned that may not work out. I probably have $5000 (maybe more) invested in my paint job which is single stage black PPG urethane - no stripes. That included rigging up a spray booth, buying an air line respirator, good quality paint and body materials, additional tools and materials. You could probably get by cheaper if you can get lacquer in your area but it won't be as durable. But if your going to drive it a lot a show car paint job is probably not worth the expense.