View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Still need help on Hurst linkage for Toploader

Still trying to hook up this used Hurst shifter and linkage I bought and I've pretty much got it figured out except for the reverse rod. I double checked all the shift arm and rod part numbers against a Hurst parts list I downloaded off of ERA's website and they all check out correctly. The Toploader was rebuilt by Keith Craft. I can't see any way the reverse rod is going to connect to the shifter. The rod looks stock and unmolested but it bends the wrong direction. I've tried it with the transmission in reverse and neutral and in neither position is it going to hook up to the shifter. Here are some pictures I took one with the trans in reverse and one with everything in neutral.

In neutral

In reverse

In neutral

In reverse

The rod has a slight upward bend in it where it needs to have a downward bend to clear the shift arm boss immediately to the rear of it. This whole thing was pulled off of a running car by one of the Forum members and boxed up and sent to me. It should just fall into place on my car. Before I clamp the rod in a vise and start bending it does anyone see anything I'm missing???? I've checked all the rod numbers, trans arm numbers, direction of the shift arms and direction of the rod ends. Doesn't make sense - I must be missing something elementary.

Thanks

Dan