Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutosnake View Post
Hey y'all, going back to then Craftsman tools being made in China:

My wife (god bless her... she's so awesome) got me a 540-pc mechanics tool set along with a 14-drawer tool cart, AND a 9-drawer tool chest ALL for christmas!! I was so elated and proud until I saw this thread Now I will always be proud/thankful that my wife gifted me like that, but wanted to run discuss this with you.

The outside (main) box says "made in USA". I just opened the box to inspect its contents. It seems that out of 540 pieces, there are 76 that do not have "forged in USA" or "made in USA". These 76 are 60 hex keys that come in 4 different packages. The packages themselves are labeled "made in USA" but each key is only marked "Craftman". Then there are 16 ratcheting wrenches (8metric 8inches) that are marked "Craftsman U.S.A." but do not say "made in USA" or "forged in U.S.A.".

So what do you guys make out of all this? Do I have 464 pieces made in the USA and 76 pieces made in China? Or, are they all made in the USA? Or, are they all made in China? If they are all made in China, is Craftsman misrepresenting their product? I have not found "made in China" anywhere in the box or contents...

From what I read here, do I need to deduce that I have a set that is mostly made in USA and a fraction (76 pieces, or 14%) that may have been made in China (or elsewhere since there is no indication)?

Like someone else mentioned earlier, does it really matter (political/economics matter aside) to the rookie/amateur car guy? Probably not...
It sounds like a really nice set that is mostly if not entirely made here anyway. My point wasn't that all overseas tools are bad. Just that I expected US tools from Craftsman as they have been in the past. I bought my kids each Craftsman starter sets before the Cobra arrives and they are actually US made.