View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the new arrival David. A lot of guys thrive on the build, and then there are others who get as much of a buzz out of whisking a car right off the showroom floor and having the pleasure of being able to drive it straight away.

You'll have a wonderful time with it I'm sure but I wonder if I might make a suggestion at this early stage? It probably hasn't caused a problem thus far (and it may not ever) but I would advise ditching that oil-filled air filter ASAP. They look the part and they sit nice and low with their stepped base giving plenty of under bonnet clearance, but they have a nasty history of going up in flames if the carby decides to have a hiccup. A fiery blowback from the carby into all that lovely oil soaked foam is not what you need!

I had one of those filters on my car initially but after hearing some horror stories about them--and seeing some horror pics-- I quickly changed to a conventional one. I ran into clearance problems trying to fit a 12 or 13 inch version but a little 10 X 1.5" filter now sits in there and while it looks a bit puny, my old big block Chevy seems to be breathing OK. Your motor seems to be sitting a little lower than mine so you may not have any trouble with a larger filter anyway. Have fun!