View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Ozgur, I hope that all is good with you.

The Miata project has been proceeding slowly. I have been through a few different variants while trying to achieve my goals. I finally have settled on building a dedicated space frame for the Miata parts to bolt into.

I had tried to use a stripped down Miata tub and simply slide on a 50's styled body. But, the Miata engine is tall and is mounted far forward. The cowl is tall and the seating position pretty far forward. I couldn't get the look that I wanted.

I set the wheelbase at 93 inches. (The Miata is 89.2) I moved the fuel tank to the top of the rear cradle. The engine is moved 14 inches rearward. My goal is 1,700lbs or less and 54% rear weight.

Here are a few pics. The frame is not done. I built it to test the layout and design. It is just tacked together. (Don't look to closely at the welds. I am not a welder!) Next week I take it to a friend that builds race frames for a living. By the end of the week I hope to have the finished frame and jigs. Then I can finish up the body.

For the body I started with a Devin inspired one that I had. I am using a Porsche 356 Speedster windshield. My 6'2" son is in the car. I like the way it's looking.

I'm building this on the cheap, using all of the Miata parts. Having fun, John

Last edited by john chesnut; 04-29-2013 at 07:24 AM..