Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
They were made of cast iron early on and cast aluminum later. Larry

The remains of early ones I have seen and or held were fabricated mild steel. (Upper bleeder tubes were also thin wall mild steel fabrications. SA did design drawings for the upper bleeder tubes. ) Few seemed to have survived. Owners in warm climates often did not use anti-freeze or other corrosion inhibitors it seems as badly corroded parts in the whole of the engine/cooling system were/are common. The steel one I borrowed for pictures and a reverse engineering study was severely corroded and the car owner had to have a new one fabricated.

The AC Cars supplied cast aluminum part used on most new street cars was mounted on chassis at their factory before shipping to America. I have held cast aluminum examples recreated by two companies and have seen pictures of ones made by others and heard of even more makers . Copies are not very rare. The new made copies I have held were heavier castings (thicker walls) than originals.