View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

On the trunk I probably could have explained a little better. I built a very slightly larger panel gap at the leading edge of the hood and trunk so that there was no chance of the panels hitting when opening and closing - hard to see but a gap about 1/32 wider than the 3/16 I used around the rest of the panels. Sometimes when I reinstalled the trunk I would forget about that and install it with the 3/16 gap at the front and then realize what I had down because the rest of the trunk along the sides was no longer perfectly flush with the body and was very slightly higher. I would re-adjust the front gap for that slight amount and then the trunk would flush out again. It could have been something unique to my car but it kind of makes sense considering the nearly 90 deg curvature as it rolls down to the bumper area.

It may just be something to live with - the panel molding tolerances on fiberglass just aren't close to what they can do with production sheet metal. I think I have a couple places on my doors where the weatherstripping gap is irregular and may be to narrow/wide. Owning an old Corvette I know you are familiar with fiberglass irregularities.

I'll study the link on the 3M Defender - I must have missed it when it was first posted (or just forgot about it).

thanks