View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
I think the OP might be interested with the internal differences, i.e. compression ratios, camshaft profiles, etc. I'm pretty certain the full competition engines were running at least 12:1 compression and perhaps as high as 14:1. Would be interesting to see a comparison of the actual compression and cam specs for comp vs. S/C (to see how much Carroll had to detune the cars to sell them as "street" runners).
I have a book that has that -- and it's reasonably believable, not just made up. There were several configurations, as I recall. But remember, back then you could get Sunoco 260, with the little "Dial-a-Pump." I use a cam that is actually a clone of a cam that was swapped in by CS for several of the engines that were a step below what you might call full race. But Lykins will tell you that cam architecture has come a long way in 50 years, but it's what I wanted. The OP could easily build an engine that is, for the most part, pretty similar to what they were 50 years ago. He just needs to sit down with a builder that is familiar with what was being done back then, because gas has changed. He's probably better off just instructing his builder as to what his goals are, as opposed to telling him what specs he wants for the internals. I did that, and my builder decided to go with an original spec'd cam from "back in the day." Had Lykins built my engine, I would have had to of twisted his arm to do that. But, who knows, maybe Lykins would have been right and I would have liked his choice more?