Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
I'm reminded of the old adage: "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth" -

"It's Keith Craft's cylinder heads and intake!"

"No- It's your short Block!"

"No- It's your driving habits!"

"No- It's aliens! "

Spending big bucks on a large-cube, high power aluminum racing engine... And then going with a suspicious, used intake and warmed-over cylinder heads...? Does not compute.

Customer: :"Let's make a 900HP, fully streetable engine, using these warmed-over aluminum parts that I've been flogging for over 15,000 miles"

Engine builder- "Stop right there - if you want a high-cube, high power Ford street engine that has ANY degree of durability and reliability, then we shouldn't cut corners- We should use components that are new, stress-free castings, that can be blueprinted and machined together, in order to meet your performance, and durability expectations.

Customer: "I hear your concerns, but this is my engine, my money, and I want to do this my way"

Engine Builder "It's not worth my reputation, or my business- Have a nice day"

Just a random, 3rd party point of view from someone in the peanut gallery- but it sounds like both of you share culpability in this engine's premature failure.
Well, if we were never allowed to use used or second hand parts, then most race engines wouldn't get freshened up each season as it would cost too much.

Nothing wrong with using used parts and unfortunately there are only so many professional head porters that I trusted/trust. Since they were Keith's heads initially, it made sense to let him do the work.