View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Angry Powermaster 9606 starter motor nightmare

Have tried to finally start the FE, 2 gallons of fuel, fluids in, engine primed, dist back on and plugs and coil connected...but starter is dead. Engine def not seized - i previously removed the plugs and turned everything over with a breaker bar and socket on the crank nut - everything moves nicely.

When i try to start the car, there may be a very faint click when i try it, but def nothing like the usual clearly audible click you normally get when the bendix is stuck.

I have checked, using a multi-meter, that the earth is good from engine to chassis, the 12V feed direct from the battery is good, and the 12V actuation feed from the switch is fine. All voltages >12V. Ofcourse I can't tell if the right amount of current is being delivered.

No evidence of the lights fading when i try to activate the starter, so it sounds like the solenoid is dead to me.

I have clonked the whole lot with a hammer, no joy.

A friend has suggested removing the starter motor and checking it on the bench.

I have got a Powermaster 9606 like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...a/instructions

mounted to the bellhousing with 3 screws that can be removed with 3/8" wrench, although mine is a mirror image of this pic.

I have loosened 2 of the screws successfully mounted at 2 and 10 o'clock. But i am now stuck, with a ratchet spanner stuck between a mounting nut and the solenoid at around 6 o'clock next to the chassis rail, a really ****ty piece of design as there is insufficient room to fit a socket between the mounting flange and the starter body. I got a ratchet spanner in there to undo it, but that's now stuck as the screw has loos ened and moved out just enough to prevent the spanner from being removed, but insufficient to let me remove the screw altogether.

So...carry on trying to remove the starter? in which case i have a bugger of a screw to remove or try something else....????

Last edited by KevinW; 09-24-2016 at 01:21 PM..