View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
This is a new starter motor, and 12v on the small terminal AT THE STARTER MOTOR does not energise the solenoid? (Of the starter, not a firewall mounted solenoid).

Is that correct?
That is correct.... unless that solenoid is very quiet compared the Ford one I have.

Its new-ish. The engine has been standing for 4 years following delivery from the engine builder (who is now retired). The cam was run in on the dyno. Last winter the garage was very very damp so even my S&HG air filter housing started to rust (got a Carcoon for this winter). I think this is what did for for clutch, which was fine the previously. So I suspect the insides of the solenoid are rusted. Engine def not seized - i can comfortably turn it on a breaker bar on the crank nut.

So all the evidence is saying pull this mother out, like Patrick said a while back...been trying to avoid this as its a total SoB to remove If it aint easy to fix I am tempted to just get a standard ford starter now, no messing about with meshing and shimming on the flywheel.

Last edited by KevinW; 10-04-2016 at 10:55 PM..