View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Well, considering where I started last night, it wasn't that easy. I found that thread during my search, but I didn't really understand it at first.

I don't have an FE. Does that matter? I didn't know. I have a TKO 600. Do they all have the same input shaft diameter? I didn't know. Search of TOBs on all the website list 1 1/16 input diameter, not the 1 1/8 that the TKO has. What is a self-aligning TOB? Does it matter? Wait a minute... It's not the input shaft diameter (1 1/16 vs 1 1/8") that matters, it is the bearing retainer diameter. What is a bearing retainer? Ok, that is what it is. Do all TKO 600's have the same bearing retainer diameter? Ok, no they don't. What size does mine have? Well, the Technical Specs from Tremec don't list the size of the bearing retainer in the Ford TKO with the 0.64 fifth gear. It is about the only spec they don't list. Well, lets go outside and measure it.... Ok, mine is 1.435. Wait, search for "throw out bearing" just shows hydraulic ones again. Can't do it that way. O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa (etc) want to know what kind of car this goes in. They don't have a 2012 1965 cobra replica on their website. It's 11pm so I can't just run down a see what they have. Half of the ones you find on Summit don't list the internal diameter. If you just select at TKO, again, it only shows hydraulic ones. How do I get Summit to sort them by the internal diameter size? Wait, it is still listing hydrauilc ones. Finally figure out how to get Summit to list them by internal diameter - only one lists 1.43. Wait, my bearing retainer measures 1.435. Does that matter? Maybe I mis-measured - go back outside and measure it again. Use different calipers. Measusre a couple of times at different points. No, still 1.435. I hope the ONLY TOB I found list as 1.43 works!!! Does it matter that I have a Quicktime bellhousing? How much room do I have. Do I need a short one or a long one? Do I need an adjustable pivot ball. Does the stock Fox Body Mustang clutch fork even fit in the Quicktime bellhousing. Does Quicktime sell a TOB? Does McLeod? Is it dependent on the clutch or the bellhousing? Was I supposed to get one when I bought the clutch? Wait, is it called a Release Bearing? What is different about those? Can I use my Wilwood slave cylinder with the Fox fork? Do I have the right Master Cylinder bore to use with the slave? Do I need to switch to a push style slave cylinder?

ETC. ETC. ETC.

So, yes, it took a while. Granted, most of the time was my learning what I didn't know. Yes, I did search. There is not a thread that says "for a SBF with a TKO 600 with a 1.435 bearing retainer, Quicktime Bellhousing and a Wilwood Slave you use this fork and this TOB". Sometimes the answer is not that simple.

But thanks for the help.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 07-18-2017 at 04:32 PM..