Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

[quote=legenmetals;1426562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkkrawler View Post
Bringing this thread back to life to specifically ask about air cleaners. I've read hundreds of posts on the topic here, but I found this thread as i was looking for ideas as to what i'd use for mine.

Here's the issue, my motor needs to be lifted a bit due to oil pan clearance issues, easy enough. The air cleaner i'm using today is an oval OEM piece with a 3" K&N (E1963), aand it fits perfect. When i dyno'd the engine, Ford Racing 392, it made more power in this configuaration that without a filter at all. And when i ran the stock paper 1 7/8 or whatever stock is, it pulled almost 40hp. I know paper is the worst, but it got me thinking. I see quite a few pics on this thread alone with what appears to be 9" air cleaners with 2" or so height elements. Is it possible that's enough? I can't imagine it would be. The math says a K&N filter would need to be 3" tall with a 14" diameter for a motor at roughly 500hp at 6000rpm, roughly.

My issue goes back to my oval air cleaner with a 3" tall K&N. I'd love to keep it, but can't due to the leading edge hitting the hood. The next size down K&N is at the factory 1 7/8 tall. Is that enough?[/QUOTE

Jeg's and Summit Racing supply drop down air cleaner base for this issue. I am having trouble downloading the link using my phone. But you will find a photo if you search.
The current air cleaner base leaves only 1/8" gap before touching the spark plug wires.