View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarhood View Post
Same problem this past weekend. Had some friends following me, and they informed me that there are no brake lights. After checking fuses, etc., I found out it is indeed the switch. Easy test: Disconnect the two wires from the switch on the end of the MC. Place a jumper wire into them and turn on the ignition. Presto, brake lights work, switch doesn't. I rigged a temporary mechanical switch by running the wires to the pedal, and a piece of spring steel that work perfectly for the moment. I will probably change to a mechanical switch just to avoid messing with the brake fluid. I forgot to call Regg about it today to find out if it is a BMW part for the hydrolic switch or not. I'll let you know what I find out.

IMO brake lights should be wired so they'll work whether the ignition is on or off. There may be times you need to use the brakes with the ignition off (e.g. stuck throttle - don't ask!) and you still want the brake lights illuminated. I believe the safety inspection here (Saskatchewan, Canada) wouldn't approve them if they only work with the ignition 'on'.