View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteralee View Post
Can someone clarify this point - when I read the SB100 requirements, it states one of the things that must be done is "Smog Certificate". How does one know if you buy a built car outside California that is will be smog exempt. Certainly a confusing process. I want to buy a built car (either SPF or ERA GT40) and register it in California as and of course have it be smog exempt. Can anyone provide that clarification. thanks much.
When you register a special construction car under SB100, for smog purposes you can either register it based on the year the car is a replica of (1965 Cobra) OR the actual year of the engine (DON'T DO IT THIS WAY). For Cobras, you always want the 1965 or earlier emissions requirements. But if you were to do it the other way based on the engine, and your engine isn't from 1965 or earlier, you'd have a street legal special construction vehicle that would still need a smog certificate every year. So be sure to select the option that your smog requirements are based on the year the vehicle recreates - hence, smog-exempt.