View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
I believe Shelby already offered a carbon fiber bodied Cobra in their Continuation Series, even they didn’t get $1M for it.
Yes, as I mentioned earlier HST built (I'd heard) 7 carbon fiber cars but I think there may have been as many as 10 with some coming later in time. Two or maybe three of them including mine were in the CSX400xLA series. There was a premium over fiberglass but not all that much since as I said before it was simply carbon fiber mat in the same resin method used for laying fiberglass.

There was someone who has been referred to on the forum that was in, I think, Phoenix area(?) that made some carbon fiber bodies using a similar technique. Can't remember who it was. Like the new Shelby, they were remarkably light.

Carbon fiber construction is a mystery to me. The one used in my car was I consider decorative. The one used here seems semi-structural in that it is rigid but not, as in construction, "a bearing wall". Then you have frames made out of hand laid carbon fiber, example is the new version of the Ford GT and others that use CF for truly structural body parts. The methods and material must differ.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-17-2022 at 03:07 PM..