Thread: Turkey Pan
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Bill for the insight. I love the vintage look of the turkey pan but it seems to cause more problems then it's worth. I'll stick with my oval K&N. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Don,

It's actually the restriction in filter size that causes the issues, you may not be able to install a large enough filter (see formula below) to get the proper airflow needed for the best performance. If you are racing, and spend 80% of your time over 130mph, a turkeypan works quite well when combined with proper sealing with the hood scoop, below that, it's just a nice show piece and nothing else. Personally, I got rid of the turkeypan and smaller airfilter assemblies a number of my Cobras. Replaced with a K&N 66-3040 unit. Both big and small displacement motors, in a number of my Cobras, including my current ERA-FIA.

I do suggest that before you spend any money, no matter which direction you ultimately choose to go, you need to see exactly what CFM worth of filter assembly you need to properly feed your engine.

Using the simple formula

A= effective filter area
CID=engine displacement
RPM=maximum RPM expected

Using the CFM formula of height X diameter x 6 x 3.14

Hope this post is helpful.

Bill S.

PS: The 14" extreme filter top flows 500cfm by itself, just saying.