View Single Post
Old 06-06-2024, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since I like a project over winter, which inevitably takes me into summer and I don't get to use the car. Here we are....

This idea stemmed from loving the look of '8 stack' Webers, but hating the idea of going to back to carbs, let alone 8 of the buggers.

So after a bit of googling and not liking the look of the Borlas, the cost of the Iglese, or the injector position of the Jenvey's, it kinda lead to doing it DIY.

I wanted the classic looks, for it to cost sub £5k (including the ECU) and have a sensible injector position.

I came across this thread on the GT40 Forum - GT40 Forum

Jasper had the same idea I did, but only got it so far before shelving the project.

Still it was a base to start from.

I ordered the same Blue Thunder inlet he had from the states

Along with some Chinese replica Webers

When these arrived I was super surprised at the quality, the castings are far better than the Spanish Weber castings! I'd never want to run fuel though them, but they certainly look the part.

I could resist a quick mock up in the engine bay

Before:

After:

Looks great but its a long road ahead.

The next step was getting the throttle linkage all built up as a test. I ordered the linkage bellcrank from Australia and the linkage arms from Webcon in the UK.

Might raise it a little depending on where I can get the injectors to fit.

Also I had a got at mocking the throttle position sensor up. I want it around the back out of the way.

So I removed this bolt from the main shaft and used this little Ali D piece, I got the blank for it from Emerald.

Quick test fit of the sensor and it fits quite nicely with room to make a bracket for it.

The next step was to try an be and engineer

Some dry shampoo on the bit I want to scan, so it’ll pick it up.

Ta da

I've still not used this scan for designing the bracket for the sensor. I will though soon.

After a lot of soul searching I decided I didn’t want to muller into my £1500 inlet manifold to try and fit some injectors at a daft angle, like Jasper did. I just couldn't help thinking I'd run into clearance issues everywhere.

So after a lot of messing, (Hours and hours of designing and measuring) I’ve made these spacers with injector bosses in them.

Will test fit with these then print them in nylon.

Fit seems good. I’ll have room to get two fuel rails between them.

My first time printing with carbon fibre impregnated Nylon.

After a few modifications to the Ender. All metal hot end and some hardened nozzles.

Wish me luck.

Some time later....

The print took 9 hours but it came out lovely and is very strong.

I can stand on it, and I'd definitely fit in the category of 'powerfully built executive'.

Tight packaging is tight.

I’ve moved the leading injector inboard by 3mm on the latest prints to give me a bit more room for the fuel rails.

Good job the bonnet has a vent…

Please to announce the throttle linkage fits... just

Fuel Rails fitted (Its quite tight)

I'm going to take 5mm off my bell crank stand to give a little more room.

To constrain the rails, I made up these little brackets.

Printed in carbon Nylon like so:

Poor photo of one fitted