View Single Post
Old 07-10-2024, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Big news on 15" performance tires!

I had an interesting discussion about 15" performance rubber, with Brandon Kraus, this afternoon. With the trepidation about Avon closing down last year, they began to work with another company to design a replacement performance tire for our cars and others needing the 15" diameter rubber. He sent me some pics of the initial production samples for a 295/50-15 V-rated tire that will compete head to head with the Avons. It is the Classic Racing model made by Nankang Tire. I think Nankang is a subsidiary of Tireco. They look very good at first glance! My understanding is that these will be a Roger Kraus Racing exclusive. According to Brandon, they should be about $400.00 less, per set of 4 tires, than the Avon CR6ZZ set. They will start taking orders around August 26-27 of 2024 for an expected late November 2024 delivery date.

The tires have a similar tread pattern to the Avons, although they have nothing at the edge of the tread, like traditional Goodyears and Avons have, which I think I would prefer to have, aesthetically. The sidewall looks like it has a little more vintage fat, rounded shape than the Avons, which is a really nice vintage look! I think the tread depth may be deeper on the Nankangs than on the Avons, as well. Take a look and let me know what you think. If you have any questions, I will try to get the info for you.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear

Last edited by PDUB; 07-10-2024 at 01:43 AM..