View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Angry Mee Too

1998 Can Am Motorcars, Langley B.C.

I've been putting up with my 60 - 80 MPH shimmy for 3 years. As noted by some others, it really rocks when I'm not in my steering dead spot (that's another issue) and my hand is off of the wheel. If I grab it, most of it goes away but the vibration is still there. I decided this summer to attack the problem.

I have had the wheels and tires dynamically balanced. 305/50 rear and 245/50 fronts on Trigo pin drives. They were not much out of balance, but had previously been balanced statically. Had the alignment checked at that time, was within norms (although my left rear needs to be moved aft 0.5", and is not a factor in the shimmy). Boy I was excited.

Test drive... still there.

I also have a slight amount of play in my steering at center, so the shimmy is only noticeable during slight to moderate cornering or working the crown of the road. The steering set up is 1986 Fiero. I suspect I need a rebuilt rack (to remove the play), and the dampener may be worn as well. This could be causing what some are calling a "geometry inherent shimmy" to transmit to the steering wheel.

This winter I plan to install a rebuilt rack, dampener, and sub links.

I will watch this and related posts with great interest. Thanks Bob in CT for bringing this up.

Zderf