View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron;

I think your goal of 325-350 hp is very acceptable with the combo you are talking about.... I have a similar combo on my car although I have never had it dynoed....I have used the desktop dyno on engines that have been dynoed and the results are real close....

I can not remember the company,but they flowed tested a bunch of heads from the early 289's to 351's to the newer aluminum heads..... They found that the early model heads like you have that have been ported and polished will flow almost the exact same numbers as the Edelbrock Aluminum heads out of the box. Granted you can take the aluminum heads further,but the old iron heads are still pretty good if you can rework them.... I would use a good Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold rather than the stock manifold though....My cam specs are about the same as yours and my heads have been ported-polished-gasket matched,I use the Edelbrock Performer RPM amnifold with a Holley 600 vac sec. carb and this motor runs great and get 23 mpg on the highway with a 5-speed tremec..

I would go with an MSD distributor (see my thread about MSD+K&N=gas mileage) as I find the Duraspark distibutor has too much "slack" in it and the MSD unit can be set on each end for your advance.....

350 hp from your combo is very realistic and will make a very reliable motor that you should get plenty trouble free miles out of....

David