View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I own a shop in Florida and we have a smaller version of that tool. It's called a R.E.T. (Rapid evacuation tool) tool. Great for drawing off fluids and most can be used to 'inject' fluids (Great for manual transmission fluid changes). I've heard dozens of scary stories about "quick" lube shops (i.e. Jiffy Lube, Mobil Express, etc.) Here are three of my favorites:

1. If they don't have your oil filter available they will just clean off the existing one and they will fill oil to the lowest point on the fill line of dipstick. This from a former employee of two different quick lube shops.

2. One of my customers was out of town visiting family. Before they headed back they got an oil change at a quick lube and went on their way. Twenty miles later the engine started knocking and seased. Oil plug wasn't tightened.

3. One of my female customers got an oil change on a Sunday (I'm closed on Sunday) and was shown "her" tranny fluid that was black. She declined to have it done under their protests that it would destroy her transmission if it wasn't done immediately. She brought it to me that Monday and I showed her the fluid straight off the dipstick. Quess what, bright pink. She said that wasn't the color they showed yesterday.

I prefer to do most things myself. Nothing feels as good as a job well done, especially when you did the job yourself.

Richard