View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

20646:

You are correct, of course, BUT...

The old battery in my car was rated at about 480 cranking amps. It had a hard time getting the engine started. The Optima is 750 amps (cold) and 980 (warm); over twice what the old battery put out in the same volume package. Starting is much easier with less wear and tear on the starting components.

Also, the old battery was a conventional lead/acid. Most of the older ERA cars have the battery mounted up under the right front fender. If you have an FE, to install the battery you have to remove the right side valve cover, lay the battery on its side, slide it in past the rocker arms, tilt it back upright and rotate it 90 degrees. This is all much easier (not to mention safer) with a gel cell than a conventional lead/acid.

Finally, the gel cells are supposed to last longer. Optima warranties the battery for free replacement if it fails in two years. Most other folks only offer 90-180 day replacement warranties; after that, your refund is pro-rated very heavily. Here in AZ, with the hot weather, the average battery only lasts about two years. For me, it was worth the extra bucks. Your mileage may vary.