View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

decooney,

The last EFI cobra with an FE I worked on, I removed a Holley pro-jection and replaced it with a Holley carb. Big improvement in the power. The TBI style FI has the same airflow choking venturi setup as a carb, no improvement (over a carb) except possibly to the fuel economy. IR FI does not restrict airflow, and you can get runners long enough to take advantage of resonant intake tuning. Also, everybody is so keen on how easy it is to tune an EFI car, I disagree. You need a laptop CPU, something my toolbox does not have. Last EFI car I tuned, the borrowed laptop kept locking up during datalogging runs, I guess I didn't like riding in a cobra at WOT. Not that turning screws in a Holley is difficult, nor is changing jets, squirters, pump cams, etc. If you don't know how to tune a carb setup proficiently, than I don't think you will have much sucess getting EFI setup very well. Same process, different methods. I will resist putting EFI on any of my motors until I go with forced induction, then they really can outshine a 4 bbl Holley carb.