View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks...

MrFixIt, thanks...

I'm probably being super critical now, becasue I've pretty much ran out of tuning tricks to do with my very nice Holley HP carb. It's fairly spot on, but the issue I see with even HP carbs are the settings are static, trying to cover a wide range of conditions and temperatures. Whereas, a properly computer controlled fuel injection setup can be more effective, more efficent, and more reliable once set up correctly. I could lean out my carb a bit more, or buy a second carb to swap back and forth for winter and summer so i don't have to keep changing jets. We do the same thing with our motorcycles all the time here...

As for your laptop experience, I can confidently say this is a separate issue that can be easily resolved with a properly built laptop and associated software, and a trained user. Software is software, and hardware is hardware... Laptops too are only as good as the build too. Sounds like you had a less than desireable experience there, but don't give up because the technology is here to stay.

Some of my friends are using computer controlled fuel injection on their offshore boats now running dual 502 chevy motors becuase they can run them in varying elevations and conditions, without a problem. Just going up in elevation from say Sacramento to Lake Tahoe just kills our carb'd engines, but fuel injection cars seem to handle it much better.

So, what I guess I am saying is I'd like to see myself what benefits can be realized from an effective computer controlled fuel injection system could do on an FE (with Variable and Dynamic adjustment) vs. my HP Carb (with static/fixed settings). It may not be available now like it is for other engines, but if it becomes availalbe, it would really fun to test it and see.

Oh well... talk to you later... Duane