Thread: Cobra snobs
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The issue of "Cobra snobs" clearly is a point of sensitivity. The problem is not with the cars -- in all their variety -- but with the owners and others.

My wife and I fell in love with the Cobra -- its shape, its promise, it being. We have no rational justification for owning it except that we love it. The Cobra is an ideal. It has many renditions to express its spirit. We welcome the diversity and variety of the cars and the Cobra community. No Cobra is perfect, including an "original." All cars are expressions of an underlying ideal.

By my values, some of the expressions of the Cobra ideal are more impressive than other expressions. Some appeal to me more than others. I can learn from all of them. In some cases, I learn what to do and in others what not to do relative to my values. A Cobra is a rolling sculpture. Some are creations of great talent and others are beginner works. Some transcend reality and are art. All are necessary. Relative to a given set of values, the poor renditions provide a contrast that enhances the inherent beauty of the best ones. Without poor renditions, no contrast exists and all renditions are “common.” The person that looks down upon “a lesser rendition” needs them to even have the contrast.

I have learned in competitive running that finish position is not the best indicator of which runner is getting the best performance relative to their potential. A person at the back of the pack may be running very close to their absolute potential where the winner may only be using a fraction of their potential. I have learned to respect effort relative to potential much more than overall finishing place. Differences exist between Cobra owners in resources, expertise, values, etc. A “lesser” rendition Cobra may, given its background, represent a closer expression of the Cobra ideal than one created with virtually unlimited time, money, and other resources. In context, the “lesser” Cobra may merit more respect than the “greater” Cobra.

If I do not like something, I have learned to try and understand why I do not like it. I try to understand the context in which it was created. I try to use it as a frame of reference and a way to improve my own understanding of the world and how to relate to it.

Life is a festival of dances. Many different tunes and beats are being played simultaneously. None are inherently better than the others, except as we impose a standard to differentiate between them. Making distinctions is a human activity. Life just is. Reality is not the abstraction. We create abstractions to create a person road map to deal with life. We may share the reality, but we each have our own destinations.

As Jamo has repeatedly said, “Some people are just ‘a**holes’.” These are people that have blinders on. They want to believe that something that they have makes them inherently better than others. They do not want to recognize how we all need each other. They lack wisdom. They are like the baby learning to walk than has yet to grow up. Some people have “arrested development.”

I believe that the more we are fortunate to have the more we need to appreciate and be considerate of others. “He who shall be chief shall be servant of all.” Our things do not make us better. In fact, our things can get in the way of our becoming full and complete persons. Personally, I am more interested in who a person is than in what they have or do not have.

I like people. One of the reasons that I got a Cobra is that I like Cobra people. We share a common passion, but virtually all are very likeable. Some are still trying to find their way, but there is room for all of us.

Based upon the number of responses, this “snob” issue is a sensitive one. Just remember the “snob” is his or her own problem. Their issues are their issues. Their problems are their problems. Maybe in time they will develop the wisdom to grow up and become a more complete human being. In the meantime, I know who I am. I know my values. I know the context in which I exist. I do not personalize what a snob does or says to me. I just appreciate what I am and what I have.