Thread: unique or ffr
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2003, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Rem:
Don't know what your budget is, but have you considered buying a used Cobra?

I prefer seat time to elbow grease, and while I do enjoy doing minor work on my car, I would NEVER have wanted to construct the whole thing. That's why I shopped around and bought a completed car. Now is a great time to buy, I got a fantastic deal and continue to see a few out there from time to time on cars from a variety of manufacturers, including Unique and FFR.

I bought a Unique because I was partial to the 289FIA, and because the price of my car was right. By purchasing a used car, I saved $20K compared to what it would cost me to buy it turn-key from Unique, and probably $5-10K compared to what it would cost me to build! All for a car with 2900 easy-miles on it, and had all the little quirks and bugs worked out by the previous owner. Keep in mind that the economy is way down right now, and such as is my case, some previous owner's really need the money. I say that because I don't want you to interpret my good deal as poor resale for Unique's. In fact, I am confident that I'd be able to sell my car for more than I paid, if I so chose to give her up.

What I can say is that I am as happy as I can be with it. It's got a few little things that need attention, but what hand-built car won't? The Weaver family has been extremely helpful and available to answer my questions, even though I didn't buy the car from them. I'd buy another Unique without reservation.

I never owned an FFR, so I can't comment on their customer support. As far as asthetics, I feel the Unique's are the more original-looking of the two cars, but that's just my opinion. To be honest, I've seen beauties and I've seen pieces of crap from both manufacturer's...it just depends on the builder.

Your dream car should not be a rash decision, so be patient. I was in your shoes for about 18 months, checking out all the mfr's, lurking around these forums and going to car shows and events to see the cars and ask questions first hand. Best of luck in your reseach.

Russ

Last edited by Russ Dickey; 08-24-2003 at 11:41 PM..