View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

coyled Scott it has to do with the distrubition of the air and fuel With port injection you have 1 injector dropping a controlled amount of fuel into that cylinder. the air is also limited into the cylinder by the runner in the intake and throttle body. You are trying to run wide open throttle and still get a good vaccum signal fromthe motor to get the most air,fuel combo in the cylinder. With a carb you can put more fuel and air in it at top end. The fuel and air mixin the intake and get sucked into each cylinder. You can get more fuel this way than with FI. Hot Rod and Car Craft did tests useing the same motor and similiar fuel induction systems a carb and a 1200 cfm throotle body with 36 lbs injectors. I didnot like this test because I do not think the injector where big enought to equal the carb. I did the injector sizing and 38-42lbs would be the correct size. I am running 50 lbs. with no problems no black smoke and this is without the supercharger. I will go to 72's or 83's when running the super. A 950 cfm carb will make more power than a set of 58 webers with 2160 cfm at top end The webers are flowed out at 7000 rpm. Pro stock in NHRA uses carbs only and thats high dollar. Scott it's all in the set up. Rick Lake