Thread: Build Tools
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     
Default Build Tools

I have to admit that my tool collection is maybe appropriate for fixing bikes, skateboards, etc... In order to have a successful and enjoyable build you are going to needs tools. I have budgeted $600 for tools and I am debating about a tool chest. Since I have built 3 motors in the past, I have a reasonable understanding of what that takes and I have listed them below. What I do not know is what tools it take to build a car, what is best to use and where did you get it. For instance, being a sheet metal worker I have installed many pop rivets. It would be so much easier to use a pneumatic riveter but I do not have a compressor. I have never tried it from a, lets say one hundred pound tank. Or maybe getting the panel fitted takes enough time that it is not so hard on your forearm. Lets copy and paste the list and add to it what is missing and great sources to get them. Last but certainly not least is cost. Add it in with your source. Thanks guys, I am looking forward to reading what the snake charmers have to say.

Jeff

1. torque wrench
2. piston dead center stop
3. engine stand
4. dial indicator
5. timing light
6. cam degree wheel
7. piston ring compressor
8. valve spring compressor
9. engine silicone
10. plasti gauge
11. assemblers moly lube