View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC-Junkyard 390 with a few aluminum parts-toploader
Not Ranked     

I went through this a couple of years ago. The key to making the HP numbers that you want will be your cam and heads.
My engine builder said that the Edelbrock RPM out of the box were little better than stock replacement heads. I was skeptical until I took them to Bob Mckray Performance-one of the best head shops around here. He agreed.
To bump up compression you will have to deck the heads. Edelbrock Technical Service gave me the numbers of .006 of material to reduce chamber volumn by 1 cc. Out of the box the heads were 72 cc, we figured that 68cc was what we need to get 10.25 compression. So that meant about .024 should come off. Don't do it all at once. Your engine builder or yourself need to check piston to valve clearance along the way. I think that we took .020 off, checked clearane and the ended up taking another .010 to get to 10.25.....the
edelbrock numbers were a little off.

Another thing, the RPM springs are a POS and will not support .600 lift. At least not for long. We had to upgrade valve spring and you will have to add spring cups. the stock RPM's springs seat on an aluminum boss, best to add a steel cup for your spring to seat into.

The intake runners are only 170cc on the rpm's so there is room to clean up the intake runner with mild porting and intake matching is a must. I think the exhaust ports on my engine were just smoothed out a little.

Don't for get to have the head shop install oil restricters on each head. I went to .090 on these.

You will need a good roller rocker with end stands. I used the Dove/Comp Cams. Pricey. I hear that the Ersons are the way to go now but they were not available when I as going through my build.

You might want to consider shell lifters for your solid cam. They are solid lifters that have been hollowed out in a taper pattern. Removes weight. You will need custom push rods anyway so use the light lifters. They will require a longer pushrod. I had 3/8 ones made up

I used a Crane custom grind solid cam. 238/248 duration @ 50. 110 lc. This combination has worked out well and shakes the whole damn house when I light it off.

Hope this helps.