View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You can get the cast number off of the side of the block....then post it here. We can tell you what engine it is.

Was it running before the 16 years....? Or has it been sitting longer than that and has just been sitting in the garage for 16 years?

There are proper ways of storing an engine....but 16 years without firing is a long time. I would say that the seals have gone the way of the earth.....and depending on how sealed the engine is....there may or may not be some minor surface rust on the cylinder walls and piston rings....along with bearing & journal surfaces.

If it were me, I'd at least pull the pan and heads off and take a look around. I'd probably go ahead and freshen it up.....new seals, rings, bearings. If it's an original engine and has never been gone through, I'd go through it...check cylinder wall surfaces, meausure crank journals, rod journals, change pistons/rings, etc.

Usually when engines are stored for that long, they usually pull the plugs, pour oil down into the cylinders and replace the plugs just so the cylinders won't rust.