View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Re: Strange VIN on a 1969

The number is not for a Mustang of any year. First off the vintage 64.5-79 Mustangs all used 11 digit serial numbers, this one is 14 digits long. Either the seller is mistaken, or the VIN was replaced due to theft recovery by a state the car once resided in...

Now with that said, of course quite a few people look at the drivers side door dataplate and read off the numbers stamped there as one long VIN (even though the true VIN is stamped to the upper left of the other information. In which case the number you posted breaks down as follows:

Body Code: 63C=mach I Sportsroof
Exterior Color Code: B0=Royal Maroon w/black trim
Interior Trim Code: 21=does not decode as it is not the correct numbers for this area
Production Date Code: 5R7=does not decode as it is not the correct numbers for this area
District Sales Order: 49=none exisitant sales order district (unused by Ford in 69)
Axle code: W=4:30 locker rear gear set
Transmission code: 2=does not decode as it is not the correct number for this area

Now ask the seller for the true VIN stamped into the inner fender panels, or located on the dash tag (drivers side) at the base of the windshield....if he cannot give you the correct 11 digit (don't tell him it's 11 digits) Vehicle Identification Number, I suggest walking away from the car unless your using it for parts............

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr427

63CB0215R749W2

Guys, this is a VIN number obtained off of a 1969 Fastback Mustang. What is this? I have never seen one like it. What is the engine code? Was this a 428 car or what?

HELP!!!

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS