View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Well,
I guess I have decide to do the leaking hole first and see how the operation goes. If all is well and the chips aren't flying then I may do the other. I do know that I do not want to pull the tranny, bellhousing, clutch and fly wheel every time I undo a soft plug. My guess is that later blocks had screw in plugs for a reason. We will see how it goes. Problems with chips may not be that bad. I have a veteran machinist helping me do the work so I will let him decide. He had told me pretty much what Carnut427 had said about doing the job.

Quote:
Do one hole at a time. Thread the holes for 1/4" pipe plugs; after removing the plug that's in there, stuff a piece of rag or paper towel in to keep the chips from going anywhere. After tapping, use a magnet & low air pressure (not at the same time) to remove the chips. Remove whatever you used to plug the hole, then use a distributor shaft to create oil pressure, and let the oil flush out each hole.
If I do screw the pooch and get chips in the engine then I will just have to except the fact. Anyway, I'm more concerned with dialing in the bellhousing. I want to take a moment and say again, how much I love being a member of this site. The input and help form members here is amazing. I hope I can help one of you some time.

--Mike