Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor oiling

Quote:
Originally posted by mickmate

Hey Brent let me know if they all work. The other one I was talking about was the galley plug behind the distributor. I guess most people either leave it in and don't clean that galley or remove it and clean it out but leave the galley oozing precious engine blood. SR recommends a plug with an 0.030" hole drilled in it to really help out dizzy gears and cam lubing without losing system effectiveness. I can get a couple of digital pics of mine if that will help. Stay on it and let us know how it works.
The plug behind the distributor is only used on the hydraulic lifter engines. If you have a soild lifter block, or have plugged the hyd. lifter galleries for use with a solid or roller cam, there is no oil there anyhow. The oil splash/misting & oil runoff seems to be adequate for lubricating the distributor & timing chain. In my opinion, drilling a hole in the plug behind the distributor will cause an internal oil leak, which should result in lower oil pressure, as well as a potential over abundance of oil in the timing cover, possibly contributing to a greater risk of an oil leak.