View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Tremec

Fordfan69,

Regarding Rockwell hardness, I could be wrong but I think around 57 is par for the course for a road race transmission, and the drag race transmissions are a bit softer in the gears at around 52 rockwell, at least that is the choice from suppliers like Jerico! The softer gears wear out quicker and the harder gears are more prone to loosing teeth compared to the softer gears.

I think Tremec need to look at the design of the TKO-500, 600 series, as other transmissions like Toploaders, Muncies dont have all these problems, plus Tremec make the T56 which is apparently a good trans, which is available with special gear sets for racing by several suppliers. My question is why race with a transmission that is not designed or up to racing and they also state Road race gearset.....? The only selling point is the cruising top gear, and that probably applies more to road users!! BUT there may be a lot of TKO-600's out there that give years of trouble free hard usage.

Another alternative, and pardon me for mentioning Japanese, as I am not a Jap car fan, but a Toyota Supra twin turbo or suchlike transmission would have to be better made and last longer than most, plus stand reasonably high horsepower levels. I wonder what the Jap race 750 + bhp brigade are using in their drift cars etc.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 11-01-2006 at 02:01 AM..