View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Is that Kieth Black block shown above the type AA fuel dragsters use? I hear they make around 5 or 6000 horse power, ribs might be a good idea! 700-1000 horse? Eh, maybe not so critical
I hear that high-riser sideoilers are over-rated claptrap, especially with the factory 2x4 intakes. Whatever, I don't have one, never had one, and don't particularly want one. So that makes me an expert?

I don't want to argue KB vs TFX vs Arias vs latest NHRA-spec top fuel engines, but notice that I did post that that block pictured was a water block...if you know anything at all you'll know that they don't use hollow blocks in top fuel to make "5 or 6000 horse power".

All I'm saying is that, IF the webbing could be done given the necessary paths the tooling has to follow, it would BE a good idea. Looking at the design, I'm thinking it just isn't possible in a CNC block to leave the webbing there. I object to calling it "moon glow" engineering instead of just admitting that it can't be done and still have the one long water jacket cover in the valley.

For the Kirkham's sake, I worry about the marketing plan: 600 HP max vs the 1500 HP rating of the Shelby block and whatever 1000++ rating the Pond and Genesis blocks are good for. The marketing plan is "it's a little lighter so just get yourself that steel crank", "just don't make too much power"? Don't make too much power, for Cobra owners??????? I don't know about that strategy.

I am waiting to hear the results from the dyno room, which at this stage, are the only results that matter. It's a great effort, I hope it all works as planned.

edit: all these weight comparisons, does the 79 pounds include all the bolts (and all the safety wire) for all of those water jacket covers? Another question, why did Ford abandon its planned use of coating bare aluminum to create a 5.0 l modular? 5.4L details - note the 110 pound weight, with iron sleeves (and all bolts it looks like )

Last edited by Commander; 02-21-2007 at 05:30 AM..